Saturday, January 28, 2017

Invader ZBrush Creature Study

After spending a tremendous amount of time re-writing the syllabus for my Q6 ZBrush class at Davinci College; it occurred to me that I could take advantage of the lesson plan by creating educational in-class content while simultaneously updating my own portfolio. So far, this method has paid off, as you can see in this post.


The project I assigned to my students was to design an extraterrestrial being that must showcase some semblance of human anatomical structures mixed with unique ones. I had them work on this in tangent with weekly Human Anatomy studies in ZBrush to build anatomical knowledge and practise while also taking what they learned and applying it to a unique creature design. Understanding proper human anatomy could, after all, assist them in converting targeted bone structure, muscle groups, and proportions into uniquely "alien" design elements; thus making their work stronger.

Did some more experimenting with looks for the final image here. Worked on techniques with saturation levels and using a basic two color system to get an interesting final composition.


I even included a breakdown of the compositing process for the purposes of showing the students how ZBrush and Photoshop work hand-in-hand when it comes to the post processing section of the design process. With future designs I'd like to do this more frequently with even more visual aids; like Photoshop layers and Blending Mode settings.


No comments:

Post a Comment